Why modern offices only let you work for 11 minutes

Frequently students in my classes are interrupted by cellphones, email, blackberries and the like. Because of the nature of my educational institution I have to allow the interruptions, up to a point.

I wonder to what extent does the student have the power to ignore these messages. I also know that in some cases the employers will just not leave the student alone. I went through this many times when I was in the jungle: "Sorry, just this one small question just couldn't wait". After the 30th distraction they just stop apologizing.

I have also noticed that many 'urgent' questions result from ones own chaotic multitasking activities getting stuck in the mud until certain information is obtained. So like a virus, we infect others with the short attention span disease.

I am not the only one who has noticed this. There is a lucritive cottage industry of time management coaches who charge $250 an hour to say what I am saying here. And they spend a great deal of their efforts in just convincing their client that there really is a better way. But it takes a lot of faith and discipline, and there is just no time for that today.

Why modern offices only let you work for 11 minutes - The Herald






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?