Revenge of the Right Brain

A lot of time is spent arguing the topic of intellectual property. I have always wanted to sidestep that whole issue. To me, it boils down to something simple. Businesses want information to be repeatable, something that can be sold over and over again in a perpetual profit stream. Yet human nature rails against this idea. Our pioneering drive says that once something is known, its time to move on.

Emotional services, are sponteaneous and cannot be packaged. This is what drives and motivates people. It is the true meaning of the value of service. As an instructor, I teach people things that can be obtained easily on the web, in a book, or through trial and error. There is something different about having it explained by another person in a unique situation that will never happen exactly the same way ever again. Even if I recorded my teaching sessions on video it would not be the same thing as doing it live.

This article from wired magazine presents some interesting food for thought on the impact of creative thinking on the value of business activity. A subtle point made here is that other nations seem to be good at logic oriented repeatable processes and are therefore prime for outsourcing opportunity. I wonder; is the inexact, sometimes frustrating nature of our country's melting pot society a fertile ground for creative thought? I mean, is that the benefit of encouraging diversity and divergent opinion?

I do believe so.

Wired 13.02: Revenge of the Right Brain






<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?